Georgia Tech’s research initiatives in energy and sustainable infrastructure focus on a broad range of challenges involving energy production, conversion, and efficiency; water resource management; infrastructure development; and the issues associated with a changing climate.
Combining economic analysis and policy assessment with fundamental and applied research, Georgia Tech’s framework for energy and sustainability research embraces a holistic approach to solving complex problems. Georgia Tech’s Carbon-Neutral Energy Solutions Laboratory (pictured above) serves as a hub for research into clean energy and sustainability. Development of clean fuels for transportation and power generation, optimization of and pollution control for combustion processes, and creation of new technology options for carbon capture and water purification represent some of the innovative research associated with the lab. Georgia Tech is also home to the University Center of Excellence for Photovoltaics Research and Education, and has spun off a successful company that is commercializing technology developed there.
Additionally, sustainability and energy management programs in smart building design, urbanization research, and sustainable manufacturing practices are advanced through interdisciplinary programs at Georgia Tech. As with other Georgia Tech research areas, the Institute’s graduate and undergraduate student researchers collaborate with faculty members on energy and sustainable infrastructure research initiatives.
Sustainability Related Research Centers
- Brook Byers Institute for Sustainable Systems (BBISS)
- Center for Biologically Inspired Design (CBID)
- Center for Spatial Planning Analytics and Visualization
- Center for Innovative Fuel Cell and Battery Technologies (FC/BT)
- Center for International Business Education and Research (CIBER)
- Center for Organic Photonics and Electronics (COPE)
- Center for Quality Growth and Regional Development (CQGRD)
- Smart Cities and Inclusive Innovation
- Georgia Water Resources Institute
- Institute for Leadership and Social Impact
- Manufacturing Institute (GTMI)
- National Electric Energy Testing, Research, and Applications Center (NEETRAC)
- Ray C. Anderson Center for Sustainable Business
- Renewable Bioproducts Institute (RBI)
- Severe Storms Research Center (SSRC)
- Separations Science and Engineering Center
- Strategic Energy Institute (SEI)
- Sustainable Design and Manufacturing Lab (SDM)
- Technology Policy and Assessment Center (TPAC)
- University Center of Excellence for Photovoltaics (UCEP)